Duromine and Reductil are weight loss medications that have as similarities, so and differences. There are much more differences than similarities between Duromine and Reductil. Main similarities of Duromine and Reductil are that both these medications
• Are taken once daily
• Help to control appetite
• Are contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding
• May cause dangerous cardiovascular side effects
• Should not be used as an obesity treatment in elderly people
There are several fundamental differences between Reductil and Duromine.
Firstly, these medications contain different active ingredients and they have different mechanism of action. Reductil capsules contain active ingredient Sibutramine, but Duromine – Phentermine.
Reductil affects noradrenergic, serotonergic and dopaminergic nerve systems, but Duromine – dopaminergic and noradrenergic nerve systems. Due to the different mechanism of action, these medications have different potential for abuse.
• By affecting the CNS, Duromine can cause euphoria and drug dependence. Because of a high risk of abuse, Duromine can be used only as a short-term weight loss therapy, lasting up to three months.
• By affecting the CNS, Reductil does not cause euphoria and dependence. Therefore, it can be prescribed as a long-term weight loss therapy, lasting up to two years.
Secondly, Duromine and Reductil medications have different directions for use
• Duromine can be prescribed to children from 12 years old and adults to 64 years old (inclusive). The minimum body mass index (BMI), at which Duromine capsules can be prescribed, is equal to 25.
• Reductil can be prescribed to adolescents from 16 years old and adult patients up to 64 years old (inclusive). The minimum BMI, at which Reductil medication can be prescribed, is equal to 27.
The main and the most important difference between Duromine and Reductil involves the balance of benefits and potential risks to the health of obese patient. The results of clinical studies have demonstrated that:
• Reductil may increase the risk of stroke and heart attack
• Duromine may increase the risk of valvular heart disease and primary pulmonary hypertension
Because of the risk of severe cardiovascular events, Reductil medication was withdrawn from pharmaceutical markets in most countries of the world in 2010. One of the few countries where Reductil medication is still sold is South Africa.
Despite the potential cardiovascular risks, doctors and researchers believe that benefits of Duromine use exceed the potential risks. Therefore, this medication is commercially available for many decades.
If you want to use Duromine or Reductil to struggle against obesity, find out from your doctor whether these drugs are sold in your city. If to buy Duromine or Reductil in your country is impossible, ask your doctor under what trade names tablets or capsules containing active ingredients Phentermine or Sibutramine are sold in your city.
It is quite possible that:
• Sibutramine-containing medications are sold under the trade names Nobese, Sibutril, Slimax, Tramentel, Biomag or Ciplatrim.
• Phentermine-containing medications are sold under the trade names Adipex-P, Adipex Retard, Panbesy, Suprenza or Ionamin.